Tom is a 30+ year veteran of business and IT leadership. His experience includes business operations, IT deployment and large IT programs, training and communications, multi-unit management, P&L responsibility, and innovation. He is a leader known for his ability to integrate multiple disciplines, work effectively at all levels, and gain consensus in complex, disparate endeavors.
At The ROIG Group, Tom spends most of his time delivering IT strategy work, transformational program management, and Business Architecture design and analysis. Senior leaders at Tom’s clients have indicated that his insight and relationship-building are key components to the success of his engagements.
Organizational Change Highlights include:
- Helped define roles and capabilities as a mid-size, 1400-store retailer centralized its distributed operational support from its diverse brands and concepts. Included streamlining existing capabilities for broader use, and creating new capabilities to support growth and consistency.
- Contributed to IS org design at a Top 5 retailer that outsourced the bulk of its IT function.
- Contributed to the redesign of the ERP organization at a government entity.
- Redesigned the service delivery organization for a division of a government entity.
Professional Highlights include:
- Led the RFP and vendor selection processes for choosing a Hosting and Managed Services provider and a property tax software replacement for government entity.
- Led the RFI and vendor selection process for choosing a support platform at a large warranty/insurance company.
- Served as Business Architect for a comprehensive organization, process and technology upgrade for a government entity, including creation of a 3-5 year blueprint and execution roadmap.
- Served as Program Manager for the merchandising department at a national retailer, including a major product launch and a financial and operational analysis of a line of business.
- Created business and systems process mapping for a large retailer intent on improving financial performance in a complex, vendor-integrated business.
- Served as a key leader in implementation of and sustaining efforts for a new services business at a mid-sized retailer on the Western Pacific Rim.
- Completed a systems and business process audit of a retailer’s financial costing and pricing system, to determine technical stability and strategic alignment.
Prior Experience includes:
- Responsible for the store IT portion of Best Buy’s Customer Centricity launch, among the most complex IT deployments in retail history, comprised of nearly 200 coordinated projects across multiple customer segments. Also served as a business leader in two of the customer segments, helping establish innovation methodology, testing and measurement capabilities and development of specific customer value propositions.
- Served as Director of Retail Operations for Media Play, the superstore division of Musicland. A key leader who helped the division grow from startup to $500MM in 3 yrs.
- Key leader in several multi-year technology programs at Best Buy and Musicland including POS migrations, integration of order management and service delivery systems, hardware selections, e-commerce re-platforming, digital services integration, retail deployments, and other projects.
Early in his career, Tom served in other leadership roles in large and small retail formats and worked in sales and recruiting (sourcing, interviewing and acquiring talent) at Robert Half, International.
Tom is a graduate of St. Olaf College where he earned a Bachelor of Arts, with majors in Philosophy and Music.
How to Contact Tom:
- Phone – 1 (612) 490-3561
- Current Location – Saint Paul, Minnesota
- Works Globally
- Extensively experienced in Retail, Technology, Local Government, and Entertainment Industries